Requirements for Residence permit had been changed since the new Law on foreigners and international protection (since april 2014) released. So now for some of the residence permit (ikamet) types foreigner should provide financial documents which means has to open a bank account in Turkey. We explain it in details for you:
1. You should open bank account at any turkish bank on your own name. Most popular banks for that purpose are Garanti bank, AK bank, Deniz bank, HSBC bank, Ziraat bankası, Yapı Kredi bank, Küveit Türk bank and others.
2. Minimal amount of money (shows that foreigner is able to support her/himself during all the term of required Residence permit) which should be on account, is 500$ per month and 6000$ per year. It can be account in dollars or turkish lira (according to the exchange rates).
3. Standart account opening procedure requires residence permit, but as you dont have it yet, so most probably some of the bank departments can refuse to open account for you. Dont make panic, this is normal for Turkey , as banks still dont follow totally same procedure in every of their offices (reason is not understandable though, human factor) so you just keep trying on visiting different banks and their offices till you find the one who will do it. They do for sure but not all of them.
4. Ok, you’ve found a bank, but as you dont have residence permit yet, you should obtain a tax number at your local or nearest tax office (address is easy to find in google by writing your district name and turkish “vergi dairesi”). They will issue your personal tax number by your passport (some of them ask also copy of passport pages). Later you will use this number also when you will need to pay for your residence permit paperwork. You should have that tax number already when you go to bank for account opening.
5. Bank account opened and you put your money on it, now you have to ask your bank assistant to issue your bank account statement (it turkish it calls “hesap ekstresi” or “hesap özeti”). There should be also stamp and manager’s sign.
Congratulations! your bank statement is ready! 🙂
We wish you to take your Residence permit easy and fast ! 🙂
P.S. : dear Readers, we would be very happy if you can share your personal experience, advice or tips regards the procedure of openning a bank account in Turkey below in comments. Also it will be useful for others if you can write the exact bank office and address where you opened account without residence permit card. Thank you a lot and have a good day! 🙂