The most popular and common used insurance in Turkey is social security insurance (or SGK). This insurance is under control of one of the governmental departments, not private ( official website of SGK).
Before only Turkish citizens, foreigners by marriage or work could benefit from it, but now its possible to apply for SGK for everyone, even those who wanna apply for Residence permit for tourism. This insurance provides free of charge medical service at public hospitals and provides some % of discount at private hospitals. But discount rates depend on hospitals and their agreements with SGK. The very big benefit of this type of insurance is the ability for people with serious sicknesses which require expencive surgeries or long lasting expencive medications etc. to use it as long as they pay premiums evey month. While private insurances have right to increase their premiums for that category of people and put limited payments. So, how to obtain it:
1. There are 2 types of SGK: SSK and Bağkur – first one is for employees and everyone who fit the requirements, and second one – for business owners only.
2. Price and obtaining:
– for foreigners by work permit: files and should be paid by employer
– for excahnge (Erasmus) students: files by univercity and free for students
– for spouses and minor children (under 18) of Turkish citizens or work permit holders\business owners who has already SGK plan and pays monthly without any debts: can be added and use it for no extra charge
– for everyone who wish to use SGK, for example for Residence permit application as well: should be obtained personally at any SGK office and premiums will be calculated as % from salary but not less than double minimum monthly salary rates. Means premioums will be not less than 213 TL for calculation on 2015.
– for business owners: calculation depends on income, but in general is around 300 – 400 TL per month as premiums.
3. How to use SGK for Residence permit (ikamet) application :
You can use this insurance only after you got your residence permit (ikamet) card so what should you do if you need to use it for your Residence permit application?
You should go to any SGK office, and apply for SGK, they will give a paper for you that you will be covered by SGK after your Ikamet issued. If you use your spouse’s SGK insurance – your spouse should go to SGK office and obtain there an official paper where it says that he/she is covered and there is no debts + sign on it that Foreigner spouse (name and last name) has right to use benefits from this insurance after Residence permit (ikamet) issued. Sign and wet stamp.
4. You’ve got your Residence permit (ikamet) card – now you need to activate your SGK – bring the copy and original of your ikamet to SGK office for that.
After activation, your SGK is valid for the same term as your Ikamet is, to be able to use it at hospitals you should provide your Yabanci kimlik numarasi (its written on your Ikamet card) to the reception desk.